Tuesday, January 30, 2007

jan 29

So, today I went to class, as usual. I found out in my volcano class that we have to go on these trips and write about them. The first one is on Saturday. We leave at 3:30am for Pichincha. At 9am we head to some other place. I am not scheduled to be back until 6 at night. Sounds fun, yeah? Im sure it will be super interesting. But 3:30am. Whew. I don’t know really how my body is going to accept that fact. I have to sign up tomorrow. Only 20 people can go and if it is full I have to sign up for next Saturday. It costs $30, too. Blah. I hate these required things. But I do want to do all that I can while in Ecuador to see all that the country has to offer so I guess its for the best anyways…
My Latin American Boom class was cancelled today, I don’t know why. Some lady just came in and said our professor wouldn’t be coming, so we all left. I went to the Cabinas near campus and called mom. I also called Sarah but she didn’t answer me. Loser. Just kidding…kind of haha.
My conversation class was next. I like the class, and I really like the professor, it is just that by that time in the day I am so tired and sick of school. I know I didn’t even have my second class today, but I was still in a “I need a nap please don’t look at me or expect any verbal or legitimate action from me for at least an hour” mood. So I guess that was okay.
I got on the bus and headed home. On my way home, Cathy sent a text asking if I wanted to go to the Teleferica. I responded saying I have a test tomorrow that I needed to study for.
I came home and ate my lunch: homemade French fries (yum), chicken breast (kind of ok), rice, and pea soup. I realized that if I add the pea soup to the rice it makes both bland tastes somewhat better, so at least that is something J
I ended up going with the group of people to the Teleferica in the end. It’s a cable car deal that goes all the way up the mountain for some INCREDIBLE views of the city. From the top, you can see 3 volcanoes, one of which is Cotopaxi – arguably the tallest active volcano on Earth, I believe. So basically, from the top, I could see all of Quito (a HUGE HUGE city), 3 snow capped volcanoes, and tons of other mountains. We had been told its best to go during the week in the afternoon. I am guessing this was true because there was no line for us to wait in and we got to see the sunset. We were above the clouds. I love love that feeling.
The sunset was incredible, I’ve got some pictures J
Looking down at the city, after sunset, with all the city lights twinkling, was a view I never want to forgive. I think I may have fell a little bit in love with the big city right then and there (although I know I will always be a country girl at heart).
While standing up on this super high cliff, I remembered when Brett and I were on the plane, landing in Quito. We were above the clouds and right as we came down through them, and we got our first glimpse of the city and the mountains, both of our jaws dropped. We just looked at each other in awe. I said to him, “This is incredible. This is where we are going to live for 4 months.” It was just so weird to remember that while I was standing on that mountain, looking down at the city that I am really living in. I am living in it. Like, not it is going to happen, it is happening. I don’t really know if that makes much sense to yall like it should, but I don’t know how else to write it down for you.
I have an anthro test tomorrow. Should be interesting. I do love the class, I just know that tests aren’t exactly anyone’s strong point and since I know there will be an essay in Spanish, I am seriously nervous. Hopefully it will be okay in the end. Well that’s it for now. Goodnight. J

1 comment:

Karen said...

Sometimes seeing things from a different perspective can change the way we understand and react. Good luck with the test and essay!
Potatoes!!! Your favorite!!! :)

Love ya,
Mom