Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Day 3....late also :)

Evidently I lost day 2. I don’t know how or when but I saved it last night and now it’s gone. Oh well, today I went to orientation again. Waking up at 6:30am is not my idea of a good day. Anyway, I got there and didn’t really know where to go, once again. J once everyone else arrived we got into our groups and had a tour of the campus. Although the campus is MUCH smaller than VT, I am sure that I will be getting lost tomorrow, and many days to come. Then we had a talk on health and how to take care of yourself while in Ecuador. I guess I’m just kind of sick of hearing warnings about getting sick and being careful. I hope I don’t get sick, of course, but I think it’s mostly common sense. Don’t eat the food on the streets, drink water, stay hydrated, be careful with the altitude, etc. anyways, then we had an hour for free because the guy who was supposed to present on politics couldn’t make it for some reason, which I was kind of sad about. But I went to eat at the Italian restaurant on campus with a girl I met yesterday, Missy. The food was wonderful. I had a Hawaiian pizza with real pineapple, it was so juicy. It made me miss home. But it was very good. Then we came back together and were separated into groups for registration. It took forever. I waited at least an hour and a half just to get into the room with the advisor lady to register for classes. Once I got in there and showed her that I knew exactly what classes I wanted, she was elated. Evidently no one else had come prepared. But coming prepared did not make it any easier for me. It took me at least an hour with her to get my classes because either they were full or they overlapped with the classes that I had already signed up for. So, all in all, I got one of the classes that I wanted. I’m in “LatinAmerican Boom”, Intermediate Spanish Conversation, Andean Anthropology, and Modern Dance. The first of which is the only one I had picked out ahead of time. I’m very disappointed with my schedule, but I guess I’ll have to make do. I really wanted photography but I couldn’t get in it. I couldn’t get into the ecology class, as a matter of fact, I tried to find some other environmental class to fulfill my environmental elective for IS but there were none that were my level of science and that were open. And you all can guess how excited I am about modern dance. That’s not really my kind of thing, but I’m gonna try it and see how it goes. Tomorrow my classes start at 12:30pm with Latin American Boom and end at 3:30pm. Those classes are Monday & Wednesday. Tuesday & Thursday classes start at 10:00am and I am done at 3:30pm. No Friday classes which is kind of nice, it would probably mean more to me if I had friends and stuff to do, which I guess I will eventually. Anyways, all in all, I was not pleased with the registration process. But, I guess a few summer classes are in order if I plan to get the major/minors I had in mind previously. When my host sister picked me up this afternoon we went and bought a cell phone. $46.00 plus a $10.00 card. You buy the cards in $3, $6, or $10 increments and they are worth so many minutes. However, I have not figured out how to use that calling card mama got for me with this cell phone yet. I cannot figure it out. I dial the country code and it says it’s not a number. I dial the country code with the 800 number and it says it’s still not a number. I don’t know what to do. I may end up just buying a calling card here to use. Also, when I get a chance I will email the number to you guys. This is important because all incoming calls are free to me, they don’t take away from my minutes that I get with the cards I buy. It’s better to have people call me than to call people. I’m running low on cash which means I have to figure out how/where to use an ATM. Tomorrow I am facing the bus system. Alone. Everyone else that has done it says it’s pretty good, but I’m still kind of nervous. Also, we have to go to register my VISA sometime. AND I have to get a CENSO card, which is my Ecuadorian ID while here. I’m so frustrated because I feel like I have spent a lot of money already, I buy lunch on campus and I have bought a phone, and because I thought I was DONE with the annoying paperwork. These two things (VISA & Censo) take at least 3 days or so, and each cost $20, I believe. I’m just ready to be done with the paperwork and be able to relax, make friends, go out, have fun, see the city.
This may sound really mean, but right now I’m also a little disappointed with my family. They are really nice, they are just a little boring. I hear about the other host families, other students are watching sports with their families, meeting other family members outside of the house, hanging out with their little brothers & sisters…..all I do when I am here is sleep & eat some. I watched some TV with MariClara tonight but we didn’t talk. I guess it will get better, I just wish it was more comfortable like everyone else. Oh well, I guess it’s about time for me to get in bed. Here’s to hoping things get MUCH better…

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, glad to hear from you and glad that you have your classes, sorry you couldn't get what you want. Maybe you will enjoy these. we miss you and have been eager to hear from you so keep the notes coming. love you, jojo

Anonymous said...

Hola Leah,
Boy, a lot of little disappointments can make you miserable can't they? But you'll adjust. You have to or you'll be miserable. I'll pray for better times with the host family. Don't expect them to do all the fun stuff. Be yourself & suggest something you'd like to do. Hey, I can totally see you doing modern dance!
The countdown is on for the arrival of Annika. Pray for Jen at 7:30 tomorrow morning. O.K. pray for her before you go to bed tonight. You won't be up that early.
One question: are you sure the hosts don't see your blog?
Trisha

Anonymous said...

Leah - You must have gotten up real early this morning to get the message out so early. We are glad to hear from you and I know you will be getting on a good schedule to do all your activities and be making new friends every day. Do you like the part of the city you have seen? Sounds like you are getting some good food. We miss you and love you. Bobby.

Karen said...

Hey Bug,
Sorry you didn't get all the classes you had wanted. And after all your preperation too! I really wanted you to get the photography class too, but well, maybe you can teach us some dance moves when you come home instead! I agree with Trish - just be yourself with your host fam and let them know what a fun-loving person you are. Hopefully you will be in contact with more of the international students and can be with their families some too. Take care hun, love you always and forever, Mom

Dana B said...

what exactly IS "latin american BOOM"?

and, maybe you could ask veronica and MariClara what they like to do for fun, if there's anywhere in the city that they think you ABSOLUTELY MUST see while you're there, etc...if you start the conversation, maybe they'll decide to take you out somewhere.