Tuesday, January 16, 2007

jan 15

Today I got up around 8am again and got ready. Headed to school. I got one of my “books” from the copy center and had to go to the ATM to get more money for the rest of them. When I came back, I paid for my copies and they said to come back tomorrow for them. So I didn’t get to do my reading for today’s class. And I didn’t get to do it tonight, either. So I don’t really know when I will be able to do that.
Anyways, by that time I only had about 20 minutes until class at 12:30 because the line at the copy center was so long. So I tried to get online. For some reason the wireless internet wasn’t even showing up on the list of wireless internets on my computer so I couldn’t post these blog entries or post some of the pictures that I took.
I did go to the computer lab and check my email, though, so that stuff is kind of up to date. You wouldn’t believe the amount of emails you have when you don’t check your email for only just 4 days from VT.
I had an hour lunch break and then conversation class. It went well, I think it should be very useful and pretty easy. Just learning new vocabulary, as far as I understand. We have a quiz on Wednesday of this huge list of verbs that she gave us today. I just finished making flash cards for about half of them. I guess tomorrow will have a lot of more flash card making and studying them. Which isn’t really that exciting but it’s not too hard and should be pretty good for me, anyways.
After class I checked my email again and then went to the cell phone store. For some reason my phone cannot receive or send text messages. I cant even make text messages to send. When I push the messages button, I get a “please wait” screen and it never does anything. The guy told me he reactivated my text message packet and that within 2 hours about I should be able to send and receive texts. But it’s been about 4 hours and I still cant do anything. So I guess I will have to go back tomorrow and see what he can do L
Oh well. I went to the internet kiosk today to see what the deal is. I have to give them a copy of my passport, a copy of my house phone bill, and a copy of my student-ness at USFQ. I’m not sure what I am going to give them as a copy of proof of being a student, because I think what they want is a copy of my bill, which I don’t have.
I saw Andrew today, the other VT student, and asked him if he had received an email yet about billing, he said no. So, I guess one of these days I need to go to the international office again and ask them about that, too. But tomorrow I will plan to go to one of these copy places and getting copies of those things for them.
Right now my plans is to go on Friday to get my VISA registered, but we will have to see about that.
I took out more money than planned from the ATM today because of all the things I need to be doing since it’s the beginning of school, etc. It costs about $10 for a ½ inch worth of papers of copies for my “books”. Plus I’m pretty sure it costs $20 to register my VISA and to get my CENSO card. I need another notebook. Copies of things for the internet, VISA, and CENSO. Plus a new purse because mine is breaking.
Anyways, I came home, did some homework, watched tv for about an hour, did more homework, and here I am. I need to go to bed really soon because I’m getting up at 5am for this 7am class. I lost my schedule today so I have to get there early so I can get that information from the internet in the computer lab so I will know where to go for my 7am class and for the rest of my classes.
I guess that’s about it for now. Kind of getting into a somewhat routine, almost. Hopefully by the end of the week I will have my own internet and you guys will be able to get a real update on my days and experiences….goodnight J
OH!!! In my literature class today we talked about politics for the first hour. The Ecuadorians talked about Correa – the new president who was sworn into office today – and we talked about Bush and all. It was pretty interesting. Basically, they are divided on the future of Correa. The last president of Ecuador to fulfill his full 4 year term was in 1992 – 1996. Every president since then has been taken out of office early because the people don’t like him for some reason: corruption, etc. There are currently 4 previous Ecuadorian presidents who are living outside of the country because they are not allowed back in due to their actions while president. They don’t like Bush at all. They don’t understand what we are doing in Iraq, which none of the US students in the class could explain to them, really, because we are all democrats and we don’t really like Bush, anyways. Pretty interesting. Anyways, now, goodnight.
OH!!! Something else, haha. Last week sometime I realized that my pile of dirty clothes from the floor of my closet was gone when I got back from school. I hadn’t seen anything from them until today when I got back from school some of my underwears, bras, and socks were folded neatly on my bed. So I guess that la empleada washed my clothes, but I still don’t have my jeans, sweats, and shirts back, yet. Also, I left my pj’s on my bed today when I left, I think that she must have taken them to wash. I guess it’s a good thing I brought more pj’s!!!!

3 comments:

Karen said...

The book think sounds crazy. Maybe almost as expensive as actually buying books at the VT Bookstore by the time you are done!

Luv,
Mom

Anonymous said...

I loved the pics. What's the deal with the dirty clothes? Seems to me that they would be washed and returned the same day. I'm thinking that I am WAY too good to Tommy. What a different culture you are in. This will be something for you to talk about for years!

Love,
Sandra

Dana B said...

I just spent $487.oo on books for my last semester. Can you beat that one? All these updates at once is EXCELLENT - reading material for my workday.

Love ya, leah!