Thursday, January 11, 2007

Day 4

It’s only 4:30 and I’m already happier today than I was yesterday. I think actually doing things has put me in a better mood. Since I got my phone yesterday, today at school when I saw people I knew, I could get their numbers. So anyways, today I got up around 8:30am, which could also be a leading factor in my happiness, considering I’ve been waking at 6:00am. I took a shower and got ready. I left the house around 9:30am, when our maid was arriving. I got on the bus, transferred at the station, and arrived at the university with plenty of time to spare of course. I left early on purpose in order to set up my internet on campus with the people there and to find my classes ahead of time so that I would be on time. I did get my internet set up, as you all know by now due to the earlier postings of days 1 & 3, and realized that the university WiFi has sites such as MySpace and Facebook blocked, like William Byrd did. I wonder why a University, a college-aged group of people, have sites blocked for them. I don’t quite understand this, but oh well. I will try to find ways around this. I emailed some, updated the blog, etc.
Then at 12:15 I headed to my first class, which started at 12:30pm. Evidently they do things differently here. At VT, on the first day of class, most people are usually early. Here, most people are on time, or a few minutes late. I can assume that this correlates to the idea of time in a circle that is prevalent here. At home, we see time as a line, with a beginning and an end. However, here, they see time as a circle, many things happen at once, and some things may never end. Anyways, the first class is a Spanish lit class, much like the one I just took at VT last semester. It sounds interesting, the hardest part will be reading, of course. The professor suggested that the students buy one of the books in English, as well as Spanish, because the majority of students are American, and he said that that particular story is very difficult to understand. I then had lunch, a pesto vegetarian crepe, very yummy (By the way, the food on campus so far has been fantastic. The only downfall is that there is no meal plan so your money goes quickly. Although the food is cheap, it adds up). Then I headed to my Intermediate Conversation class. This class is basically 8 american students who need help. It actually seems very interesting. Every Monday a student presents a news article of their choice and teaches the class 10 new vocabulary words to help us communicate better. Then they present 3 open-ended, opinion-like questions which the class then attempts to answer. Every Wednesday, a different student presents a topic (ie: drug trafficking, political status, etc) and 10 new vocabulary words associated with that topic, also asking 3 open-ended questions. The whole point of the class is to talk and to learn new, and necessary, vocabulary that we may not/do not already know. All in all, it was a good day.
At the end of classes, I found my bus & headed home. The only problem I have encountered today was that I could not open the front door when I arrived at the house. We all know that I have problems with keys, but this was especially difficult. Luckily, MariClara was home and opened the door for me. However, I do plan to get either her or Veronica to show me exactly what to do so that tomorrow hopefully I can be a big girl and open a door by myself.
I ate my lunch which had been prepared for me which consisted of: tuna (not tuna salad, just the meat), rice, and a potato soup thing. I also decided to treat myself to some bread & jelly. It was nice. Probably the first meal that I have eaten plus some since I arrived. Usually my lunches that they have prepared for me have been a meat, rice, potatoes, and a soup. Which is fine by me, anything with potatoes involved is a-okay. Now, I’m not sure what I am going to do. I actually made myself a list of things to do but they all involve the internet or going somewhere, which I’m not ready to do by myself yet. I need to: find an ATM, register my VISA, get my Ecudarian ID, get a third notebook for class, probably need to get some books, too, E-mail Calvera to inform her I did not get the classes I had planned, get a map of Ecuador.
Tomorrow, a few girls that are also international students and I are going to this place called South American Explorer Club. It’s basically like a nice little club that helps people out that are here. I mean, how more basic could that sound. The “clubhouse” has wireless internet (which I hope wont have blocked sites), coffee & tea for members, activities every Thursday night, lots of connections for volunteering around the area, and lots of connections to good travel agencies & bus companies for traveling around the country, etc. I’m pretty pumped about it. I’d like to get involved with something like that. It costs $35 to join, but I think that it’d be worth it to not have to pay for wireless internet in an internetcafe and to have those connections. Thing is, I need an ATM before then. It’s not too far from the house, either. But, Veronica said I should probably take a taxi, anyways.
Evidently, the maid took my dirty clothes to wash them today. I don’t really know how I feel about that. She has been opening my closet to put away my shoes and pajamas when she comes to clean & make my bed, but I didn’t really think she would just open my closet and take my dirty clothes away. Oh well, I guess it’s her job.
Seems like I have a whole lot to write about when I sit down to write, when really, I haven’t done much of anything. I guess if anyone sat down and wrote hour by hour what they did it would probably take up as much space. For some reason, being in another country makes detailing out your life more interesting, I guess. Hope you all are enjoying this, although, I think it might bore you. that’s all for now.



...i wrote that last night. right now i am waiting for time for my modern dance class. im scared. nothing else really to report for the time being. just waiting for friends to happen in my life so i can have a life haha.....much love.

8 comments:

Karen said...

Sounds like you are getting settled in hun! I'm glad. The conversation class and the explorer club sound interesting. I am curious to hear about your dance class too! As for me, I am definately not bored reading about your days. I appreciate it - a lot!
Love you always and forever,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Ir was very interesting reading about your day. we've been anxious about what was going on and you told us very nicely. I know you are going to have a great time and see many interesting things. Keep your head up. love, jojo

Anonymous said...

Hello Leah: Sounds like you are beginning to fit right in and begin to have a good time. That is good Glad the problems are beginning to clear up. Saw Betty Perdue the other day. She said to tell you hello, that she was thinking about you and she loved you. We are still in our usual rut - you know just doing things. We went out to Lunch with DB yesterday at BLAKES in Vinton. She picked it out. It was good. I understand you have a new cousing - born today. I assume your mother has told you all about. Be careful, study hard and hace a good time . Bobby.

Anonymous said...

Well, a maid, huh? And I thought you'd be doing some suffering!
Keep up the writing. I feel like I'm getting to know you much better.
Your happy, once-again-grandma auntd,
trisha

Dana B said...

Is AIM blocked at school, too? You should get online and talk to me.

love ya, leah.

Anonymous said...

Not bored at all by your news. Love to hear everything. I thought life would be rougher there, and I find out you have a maid! The Explorer Club sounds like a fun thing. It appears that one of your biggest issues is just getting into the house! Looking forward to hearing about tomorrow.

Love you niece,
Sandra

Anonymous said...

Leah - It's Saturday night, January 13, and we have heard nothing from you since Thursday. I'm going through withdrawal! Your cousin Annika is absolutely beautiful..and you can take my word for it. I have seen very few newborns that I thought was pretty, including my own son. Jeff looked like an alien after the nurse put drops in his eyes to wash them out. No disrespect to my other nieces and nephews, but I don't think I have ever seen a newborn baby as beautiful as Annika. You will see when you get home.

Sandra

Anonymous said...

Leah! I'm so jealous that you have someone to wash your laundry and make your bed!!!! I hope your days keep improving- it seems like they are, and I bet they will continue to do so. I miss you! Who will I sit with and talk with in Zanotti's class? I will have to give you updates on the ridiculous reading assignments she has us do. So, I came up with a guaranteed winner to make friends while you're in Ecuador: buy lots of chocolate, and then hand them out to people. I would be your friend (if I wasn't already) if you did that. You know that whole "don't take candy from strangers" bit our parents told us when we were kids? I vote you try it! Anyways, I can't wait to hear more about your adventures in Ecuador :). Besos mi amiga - Jo