Sunday, March 4, 2007

heyyyyyyyy

I believe the last time I updated was Friday during the day. Friday I did absolutely nothing during the day, seriously worthless. J
That night we all went to Katy’s house and met up to go out for Cathy’s birthday. We went up on the roof of her apartment building where there is this awesome terrace with the most gorgeous view of the city and some mountains. So sweet. Anyways we then went down to the Mariscol, had some pizza, celebrated Cathy’s birthday at midnight, and I came home pretty early.
Saturday I went to a photography exhibition down in Old Quito in the Centre. It was called “Voces de los Andes” (Voices of the Andes). This guy went to a bunch of indigenous centers and met the people, lived there, and eventually won their trust to take some individuals’ pictures and record their stories. These stories include legends about their cultures, stories from their own experiences, stories from their families experiences, or just old folk stories that they have passed from generation to generation. The pictures were gorgeous. My professor is actually friends with the photographer so he was with us. He gave us an intro before we went into the exhibit and then afterwards we got to talk to him about his experiences, etc. He also took a picture of our group and said he’d post it on the website. He asked us to pick out our favorite part and put our reaction/thoughts on the website. The site is a blog, like this one: http://vocesandes.blogspot.com. I took an illegal picture of my favorite person, his story, and the mountain he refers to in his story. Ooops. I didn’t know it was not allowed until I took it and the guard came up to me and shook his head haha. It was really nice, though. I miss photography, black and white photography….
Then I met up with Katy, we went to the MegaMaxi and did some grocery shopping, I needed some things like batteries, etc., and we got cake mix to make Cathy a birthday cake. We headed to Cathy’s for dinner – which she had cooked for everyone – spaghetti and salad and garlic bread, it was really nice. Her mom bought us a bottle of wine, and got Cathy a bouquet of cream roses. The cake Katy and I made was delicious. Except for the fact that her mom had given us a Pyrex bowl to bake it in, and we couldn’t get it out, so we just poured icing all over the top and then poured sprinkles on the top haha. It didn’t look that good but it tasted just scrumptious! Haha
We then went out again, but I didn’t feel so good, ended up heading home while Cathy stayed out to celebrate her birthday. I think I’m getting sick, this morning I woke up with tons of crap in my head, feels huge, nose is running, and my throat is incredibly sore. You know, the normal change of weather illness. Hopefully it will go away soon…..
Today I woke up late J and studied some vocab for a test tomorrow. I tried to “watch” the VT game on gametracker but it kind of broke. Didn’t matter, we lost. Then I went with Adam to a sports bar and watched the UNC/Duke game. I’m pretty upset that both of my teams lost today….
Tomorrow I have 2 tests – volcanology and conversation. Then I think we don’t have school on Wednesday, its some unwritten holiday haha.
I think for Spring Break, I’ve been talking with Katy, and I think we are gonna go on a somewhat road trip. A Tour D’ Ecuador if you will haha. Should be fun, theres a bunch of places we want to see, kind of make a big loop, including stopping at the coast for a few days J
Guess that’s about it. I haven’t checked out the site for the photo exhibit yet, so go check it out.

my uncle Tommy is in the hospital, i'd appreciate it if you could keep him in your prayers.
also, my friend Kraig, his sister has thyroid cancer and she's back in the hospital getting tests done, they arent sure whats going on this time, if the cancer has come back or what, so if you could keep her in your prayers, too.
thanks. loves.

2 comments:

Karen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

Hope you feel better soon hun!
I looked at the photo site and really appreciated the pix. All the stories are written in Spanish though - is there a way I can see them in English?
luv ya