Wednesday, February 7, 2007

feb 6

Nothing really new to report today. Went to the university early so I could print off some osstuff in the Xerox center and then headed to anthropology class. We got our tests back, I got a C. I figured it would be a C. I wasn’t very happy about it, before or afterward. I guess I need to really study harder next time.

I emailed Calvera at VT today about how my classes are going to transfer back. I’m not sure about whether the actual grade will transfer back or just the credit hours if I get a C or better in the course.

I did my presentation in conversation class yesterday. I think I should have picked a longer article to talk about because we got out of class early. I did use the vocabulary words that I picked out of the article in my presentation, though, so I guess that should be good for my grade. My article was about the devastation that was caused by the eruption of one of the volcano’s here in August of last year. The community is actually in Baños – where I was a few weekends ago with the girls. Basically it’s a small town where the ground is covered in ash and mud from the explosion. The people there have to rebuild their lives and their way of living because their farms are ruined. Also, it has had a bunch of negative effects on the children, respiratory problems caused by the lingering ash in the air. It made me think about New Orleans, though, and the people there. They want to go back because its their home. They know the danger of it all happening again and that it would be rebuilding their lives all over again, but it is their home and they cant see themselves living anywhere else. (“they” being the people of Baños and New Orleans, “they” being the people all over.)

I signed up for my volcano trip. I decided that I am going to go to only Pichincha. Evidently, the second part of the trip is to a place where you basically chip away at rocks and study the different types of rocks for about 5 hours. I don’t think that’s something I want to do. I think that we are supposed to go to both, but Andrew (the other guy from VT that is in the volcano class with me) said he only went to Pichincha and so I think if I was supposed to go to both that he would have done it. I’m sure it will be fine. The professor is a really cute nice older man and I am sure that he will let me make it up somehow.

I guess mom & b are planning to come to visit me during B’s spring break. I didn’t really know that was going to happen. I don’t know what I will do with them when they get here. Considering that during the week I don’t do much of anything. Which makes me sad because I want to do stuff everyday but I don’t have anyone to do things with during the weekdays when I get home from school and I don’t know what to do on my own….

I miss Blacksburg. When I’m here at the house and not really doing anything, I find myself wondering what everyone is doing without me. And wishing I had someone to go get dinner with and just hang out with in the evenings.

On the other hand, I am having fun here. And the weather is excellent. Mom told me it was like 9 degrees or something this morning. It was about 80 here. J

Nothing else to report. Not that this was very exciting anyways haha.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, Leah,
Your assignment is to get out & discover something really cool to do with Karen & B. That trip up the mountain to see the city view would be one thing I'd want to do if I were coming. If I know Karen, she'll get to know your host mom & they'll find lots to do.
Trisha

Anonymous said...

Hi Leah, thanks for the pics. It is real good to get to see the pictures of the places you are visiting. We had snow last nite about 2-3 inches. It is 28 today and it is melting some, the sun is shining. I know you are sorry to miss the snow. Stay well, Love Ya', JoJo